Irish Men take two of three games at St-Annes

Rugby fans,

The MIRFC Men were in tough with three games away against St-Annes. The thirds played a strong game, highlighted by excellent running from full-back and by an impressive 60+ metre try by Andrew O’Kill. Playing a St-Annes side that has gotten much stronger as the season progressed, the boys did well to earn the victory and assure themselves a spot in the 3rd grade final.

The seconds game was assuredly the highlight of the day (at least for the Irish) as it was as close as it gets. The boys played well. From memory, I remember Cormac scoring a try (very similar to the one he scored in first grade a week earlier) and good defense by the whole team, especially trying to stop a very talented St Annes winger (with hair that Side-show bob would be proud of!). The boys came away with a one point victory and kept their unbeaten record intact, ensuring home field advantage throughout the playoffs.

The firsts were in tough against an undefeated St-Annes team whose only blemish was a tie against the Irish the last time we played. The first half was a close and physical affair where the Irish had some chances but were unable to capitalize against a very strong St Annes defense. St Annes then  went on the offensive and were rewarded with a try for a half time score of 5-0. The second half started terribly for the Irish as lackluster defense led to a quick St Annes try. Once regrouped, the Irish played some admirable defense and sought to attack when possible. Somewhere in the mix, St Annes kicked a penalty. As the second half progressed, the Irish seemed to get a second wind and were rewarded when Paul (Juice) V-W scored a try on a nice push over the line with help from Andy P. Alas, it was not enough and St Annes came out on top 13-7.  The boys battled hard against a strong opponent. Despite the low score, the quality of rugby was high on both sides. The officiating was also very good in this game as the game was allowed to flow. The same can be said about the officiating in the first game. As for the second game, this reporter was unable to watch most of the game, but our very own John Weller was in charged and did well, or so he says.


– Crandall